RUles (Employees will be instructed in company rules and safety on the first day)
- No foul language
- No smoking on the bus or in the field
- No littering
- Respect for others and their property
- No throwing dirt clods or tassels
- No throwing objects out of the vehicles
- If you bring anything valuable, such as iPods, Cell Phones, etc. We will not be responsible for stolen or lost items.
You will be dismissed if you perform any illegal activity such as theft or drug use. We also have ZERO tolerance for bullying, if you harass others it will result in immediate dismissal.
When We Start
- Detasseling can only begin when the corn is “ready,” which is usually soon after July 4th. P.S. Detasseling is given 2 days notice of our start date and will then contact all employees via phone. The P.S. Detasseling website and Facebook and Twitter will be updated frequently as the season approaches. Start dates will be posted as soon as available.
- P.S Detasseling works 7 days a week rain or shine. Crews may have to work in rainy conditions.
- In the event of a storm where lightning is present, all works will be instructed to exit the field and return to the bus. At that time pay will switch from the contracted hourly wage to a weather delay/travel wage. This will continue for the time spent on the bus.
The exact length of a detasseling season changes from year to year. Anticipate working 7 days a week for 3 weeks once the season begins.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Drink lots of fluids.
- Bring plenty of food.
- You are responsible for all valuables you bring to the field.
- Nurse on call
- First Aid kits available on every bus
- Decontamination instructions given prior to working in fields with certified instructors