WHat To Wear
- Hat - One of the seed corn companies provides us with a limited number of hats with nets attached. You may want to bring your own hat to wear.
- Net- You will be a provided with a net to wear either with or without a hat. You MUST wear a net at all times while in the fields. NO EXCEPTIONS!!
- Safety Glasses- You will be provided with safety glasses. You must wear the glasses at all times along with a net.
- Shirts - SLEEVELESS SHIRTS/ TANKS ARE NOT ALLOWED. We do recommend that ALL detasselers wear a short sleeve shirt AND a light weight LONG sleeve shirt. The long sleeves keep you from getting a corn rash on your arms.
- Rain gear - Bring a poncho or rain coat, because it can be very cold and wet as a result of morning dew and rain storms. We will work in rain unless there is lightning.
- Pants or Shorts - Light weight fabric works best. Scrubs, Draw String PJ’s, leggings work well. If you wear shorts they need to be LONG shorts.
- Don't Wear Jeans! - They are very heavy when they get wet, they don't dry quickly, and they get very hot on hot days.
- Socks- Your socks must cover your ankle and if you are wearing shorts then you will be required to wear TALL(soccer length) socks with your long shorts !!! NO EXCEPTIONS!!!
- Gloves- are provided.
- Shoes- All detasselers MUST wear tie-up or velcro shoes (no open toe or slip on shoes!) Tennis shoes are the best. Boots get very heavy